One of the most important methods of transforming our urban neighborhoods is to provide quality housing and encourage urban development. Over the past 35 years SBH has partnered in several housing and commercial developments. South Bend Heritage is dedicated to improving South Bend’s neighborhoods through the construction and adaptation of urban commercial and residential structures. Through experienced and skilled staff, SBH works with other project architects, general contractors and sub contractors to insure that all projects undertaken by SBH are completed to the highest degree of quality.
To date, SBH has developed and supervised the construction and renovation of 5 major multi-family housing developments, 160 + home rehabilitations, 25+ house moves and 25+ commercial construction and renovation projects. With each completed project SBH builds on its reputation as a premier adaptive reuse specialist through the creation of unique commercial space and quality affordable housing in urban neighborhoods. Based on this expertise, SBH also now serves as general contractor on several projects.
Important projects include:
- Colfax Cultural Center
- Charles Martin Youth Center
- Historic Preservation of Near Westside homes
- Washington Dunbar Apartments
- Robertson’s Apartments
- Northside Terrace Apartments
- Heritage Homes Southeast Apartments
- Marycrest Building
- Chapin Street to include Chapin Market & Sister Maura Brannick Clinic
- House moves for preservation including Queen Anne Inn and Fredrickson House, totaling over 20 homes
- Teachers Credit Union -Cushing Street
- Studebaker National Museum
- Studebaker Archives
- Fire Station #2
- IUSB Civil Rights Heritage Center (Natatorium)
- Bendix Family Physicians
- Eddy Street Commons (NNRO)
- NNRO single family home renovations
- The Salvation Army Kroc Center
- Hansel Center adaptive re-use to University of Notre Dame Center for Arts & Culture
- LOGAN and Oaklawn residential facilities
- Triangle Development (NNRO)
- Crescent-Hill Development (NNRO)
PROJECT HIGHLIGHT: CHAPIN II
upcoming community projects
Located in the heart of the West Washington Historic District, the Gemini Apartments are full of character and charm. Built in the Chicago Court style, the Gemini is home to 60 total units, with 15 currently being rehabilitated. These trendy apartments are now available for pre-lease and will make a lovely home for tenants looking for modern living with a touch of charm.
Permanent supportive housing
South Bend Heritage has been chosen as one of six teams that will participate in the 2019 Indiana Supportive Housing Institute program. Teams will work with the Indiana Housing & Community Development Authority and the Corporation for Supportive Housing to establish a plan to create housing developments that will serve individuals struggling with chronic homelessness.
historic firehouse #7
In partnership with the NNRO and NENC, SBH is committed to helping restore the historic Firehouse #7 on Notre Dame Ave. Improvements to the building will make for a striking and welcoming entrance to the neighborhood, as well as provide much needed structural stabilization to the historic building. For more info and to donate to the campaign, click the link below.