Do you have impeccable attention to detail, love numbers, getting organized, accounting and all things non-profit organizational management? Are you looking for a rewarding career with a local non-profit organization that has an amazing impact in the community in which it serves? South Bend Heritage Foundation is hiring! We are looking for an experienced Accounting & Programs Specialist to work full time in our Lincoln Way West office.
About South Bend Heritage Foundation
Established in July 1974 to help reverse the physical and community decline taking place in South Bend’s neighborhoods, South Bend Heritage Foundation, Inc. (SBH) is a non-profit community development corporation that is committed to fostering comprehensive community development, neighborhood stabilization, and quality of life initiatives.
For 45 years South Bend Heritage has been at the forefront of community improvement, thanks to our amazing people and partners, who bring care and commitment to our purpose every day. We bring together the best in not for profit, public and private initiatives to foster opportunity for all residents. As a leader in community development, we work across a variety of business sectors, taking a holistic approach to neighborhood revitalization. If you share in our passion for helping people, teamwork, real estate development and social enterprise, we want you to join us at South Bend Heritage.
The purpose of South Bend Heritage is to enhance the beauty and value of neighborhoods and to empower residents through collaboration, physical transformation, advocacy, and education.
The vision of South Bend Heritage is a united community where diverse neighborhoods are considered choice places to live, as well as to operate a business, and where all residents have equitable and just opportunities to reach their full potential.
Primary Lines of Business: Community Building & Engagement, Planning & Real Estate Development, Housing Promotion and Property Management.
Job Title: Accounting & Programs Specialist
Reports To: Leadership Team- CFO (primary), Director of Property Management and Executive Director.
Status: Full Time, Salaried
Compensation: We offer competitive compensation, including health benefits, Paid Time Off (PTO), and 403B retirement plan. This is a regular full-time position based in South Bend Indiana. Salary range $40,000-$43,000 based on experience and qualifications.
Primary Duties and responsibilities include:
- Assist in the preparation and recording of accounts payable and cash disbursements
- Review all invoice/check requests for accuracy and budget purposes
- Manage the process AP invoice journals
- Prepares AP payment journals and check runs
- Assist in the preparation and recording of accounts receivable and cash receipts
- Responsible for the reconciliation of revenue and customer receivable data between internal property management software (Yardi) and QuickBooks
- Manage the AR process including customer payment entry and bank deposit creation
- Monitor AR balance, make collection calls as needed; submits monthly AR report to CFO
- Assist in the allocation for expenses and revenue items as needed
- Assist in the posting of accounts to the General Ledger for:
- Prepares monthly adjusting journal entries
- Reconcile trial balance to supporting schedules
- Responsible for the timely submission of month end reports for review by CFO
- Participates in analysis of financial statements
- Assist CFO with the year-end financial audit
- Assist CFO with preparation of budgets and cash flow projections
- Maintain required records, reports and files in an organized manner
- Board Management- Prepare minutes, communications and assist the Executive Director with Board meeting preparation
- Continuous review and improvement of processes/compliance (i.e. regular review of policies, audits of procedures, continuous improvement opportunities)
- Assist with insurance review/compliance
- Assist with periodic review/maintenance of all contracts
- Assist with document management
- Assist with the accurate transmission of data from property management software (YARDI) to QuickBooks
- Prepares monthly executive financial reporting for South Bend Heritage and property management which includes financial reporting, AR reporting, administrative/compliance reporting
- Preparation, analysis, and reporting of budgets
- Assist Director of Property Management with data entry and reporting to state agencies and completion of annual owner reports (if needed)
- Assist Director of Property Management with tenant file reviews for affordable housing compliance as needed (if needed)
- Assist in the organization, planning and implementation of various SBH events, programs and projects (such as: home sales/closings, legal & real estate document preparation and grant preparation)
Qualifications: Education, Experience and Abilities
Associate degree in accounting or equivalent education/experience. Two years previous accounting/bookkeeping experience. Property management experience a plus. Demonstrated strong communication and organizational skills, including working with a diverse clientele. Proficiency in QuickBooks and Microsoft Office.
Applicants must be trustworthy, very organized, self-motivated and fast learners. Strong ability to be flexible and to work collaboratively as part of a small team. Excellent communication skills. Experience using QuickBooks, Yardi and Microsoft Office programs preferred.
Office Environment: South Bend Heritage Foundation offers a flexible schedule and creative work environment and the opportunity to get involved with improving the South Bend community. Fully equipped, individual office provided. South Bend will also provide specialized training to promote growth on the job.
NOTE: This job description is not intended to be all-inclusive. Employee may perform other related duties as required to meet the ongoing needs of the organization as further defined in the SBH Business Plan and associated documents. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer/Veterans/Disabled/LGBT Employer. Our Company culture is team-oriented, supportive and customer-centered. SBH employees take great pride in their work, serve diverse socio-economic populations and have a genuine enthusiasm for seeing our community improve. Please see our website for additional information: www.sbheritage.org
Apply by submitting your cover letter and resume to Brandon Gerlach, CFO.
Brandon Gerlach, CFO
Phone: 574-289-1066 ext. 1209
Cell Phone: 574-326-5158
Address: 803 Lincolnway West South Bend, IN 46616