Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration
On Monday, January 18th, South Bend Heritage will join the Martin Luther King Jr. Foundation of St. Joseph County to present the 30th Annual Martin Luther King Jr. Celebration. Highlights of the Celebration include the Community Service Recognition Breakfast, the Memorial March and the Youth Program. Each year the celebration brings thousands of people together to honor the legacy of Dr. King. We hope you will join us for this special Celebration. See information below for events throughout the day.
The events listed below are organized by the MLK Foundation of St. Joseph County and South Bend Heritage.
A special thank you to our sponsors for the 2016 Celebration:
Saint Joseph Health System, 1st Source Bank, Memorial Hospital, University of Notre Dame, PNC Bank, African American Fund of the Community Foundation of St. Joseph County, South Bend Tribune, Lake City Bank, KeyBank, I&M/AEP, Urban Enterprise Association
Monday, January 18, 2016
SCHEDULE OF EVENTS –
Listed below is the schedule of events for the Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Celebration. For more detail on each listing please view the MLK Program Booklet .
7:30 a.m.—9:00 a.m.
DR. MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.
COMMUNITY SERVICE RECOGNITION BREAKFAST
Speaker: Derrick Campbell – Divisional Manager Labor Relations at the General Motors Company
Century Center / Convention Hall A and B
Breakfast Ticket Info:
General tickets are $25. Early bird tickets and discounted tickets for children are also available online only! All tickets must be purchased by January 14, 2016.
Click here to review ticket info and purchase tickets to the Breakfast online (includes children tickets).
Click Here to download Breakfast ticket form only (regular tickets only).
Or call 574-289-1066 ext. 214 or email email@example.com
9:00 a.m.—4:00 p.m.
Century Center / Great Hall
9:30 a.m. – 12:00 p.m
South Bend Medical Foundation
Century Center / Bloodmobile
Sponsors: Delta Sigma Theta Sorority and the South Bend Medical Foundation
Organized by Kimberly Green Reeves @574-329-3150 and Debra Carroll @ 574-876-5876 (Delta Sigma Theta Sorority); Christina Tembo (Manager) / Melissa Newton (Blood Donor Recruiter) @ 574-234-4176 (South Bend Medical Foundation)
9:30 – 11:00 a.m.
- 9:30 – 11:00 a.m. – Working Together to Reduce Violence in South Bend/St. Joseph County – Century Center/Recital Hall
- 10:00 – 11:30 a.m. – Indiana Black Expo Report: State of Our Black Youth – Century Center/Suite 2
- 10:00 – 11:30 a.m.- Empowering Our Urban Communities by Creating Financial Health and Strength: Learn How Your Money Can Work for You Century Center/Suite 12
11:45 a.m.—12:45 a.m.
TRADITIONAL MEMORIAL MARCH TO CENTURY CENTER
County City Building / Lobby—South Bend
1:00 p.m.—4:00 p.m.
- 1:00 – 3:00 p.m. – Open Mike: Spoken Word Artists – Century Center/Great Hall
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Town Hall Meeting: Strengthening Police-Community Relationships & Preventing Youth Violence (My Brother’s Keeper Community
Challenge) – Century Center Recital Hall
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Stories of Peace – Century Center Suite 3
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Thick vs. Fit: The Road to Health, Wellness and Fitness in the African American Community – Century Center/Suite 16
- 1:30 – 3:00 p.m. – Children’s Room for Children Aged 5 to 10 Years – Century Center/Suites 8-10
- 2:30 – 4:30 p.m. – Expunging Criminal Records in the State of Indiana – Century Center/Suite 1
- 2:30 – 3:45 p.m. – Say “Yes” to Your Blessings!: Meet a Life Coach Who Will Encourage You to Pursue Your Dreams – Century Center/Suite 2
- 3:30 – 5:00 p.m. – At the River I Stand, A Film On Civil Rights Movements – Century Center/Recital Hall
3:00 p.m.—5:00 p.m.
YOUTH CULTURAL PROGRAM
2016 YOUTH COMMUNITY SERVICE AWARDS
Century Center / Bendix Theater
7:00 p.m.—9:00 p.m.
MARTIN LUTHER KING JR.
Honor Martin Luther King Jr.’s day with this concert.
Organized by: South Bend Symphony & Indiana University South Bend
Location: Morris Performing Arts Center
Click Here for Ticket Information